Sunday, November 6, 2011

Peter Fallon Class Visit


Unlike the poetry reading, Peter Fallon came in as an answering, not a lecturer. He encouraged questions and discussion. He told us how his poetry is rooted in experiences, but how it is given shape through form. Peter didn't follow any set form all of the time; he often created his own. I noticed that his poems used strong alliteration and internal rhyme. He said that when he works on poems, he is most himself. I can see how this would be true. When writing poetry, one pulls from their inner self, their deepest feelings. Making those emotions surface helps the writer to see what their inner self truly looks like.

Peter also talked about his process of starting the Gallery Press. For him, it was the next logical step. It sounded like he fell into it, and it appears that it has worked out.

I found that Peter emitted an aura, almost, of steadfast peace, and through his poetry I think that I can see that this peace is rooted in his family and his home.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that we truly gained a glimpse into Fallon and his personal life. His poetry fit his personality so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your statement about how he emitted an aura of steadfast peace. I think this is a requisite characteristic of great poets; you can't involve yourself in a scene enough to write about it unless you are truly at peace with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that while not all poets must be peaceful to write poetry, it's really accurate to describe Fallon as peaceful and serene. He seemed most peaceful when talking about and reading his poetry, and more uncomfortable when he answered personal questions. From what I've seen of him, he's a person to respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly like your comment about Fallon as being at peace. I think that once someone has found meaning in life they become at peace with life and themselves. I like how you phrased it "steadfast peace, and through his poetry I think that I can see that this peace is rooted in his family and his home. "

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...I also loved how he did not lecture but instead always wanted to include us in the discussion. While teaching, he made us feel as if we had something to contribute, too.

    ReplyDelete